Filed under: Dads/husbands, Dictionary of Jewish Words | Tags: Aish, awards, blogs, Casandra Krivy Hirsch, Emuna Braverman, GPTMC, IFF, Interfaith Family, Jewish Publication Society, JPS, Michael Klein, Uwishunu
We were delighted to learn we were chosen to win a Beautiful Blogger Award by Stephanie Vincent on her blog Radical Hateloss.
1. Joyce and Ellen met in the 1980s, when Joyce was the editor of the Jewish Exponent Special Sections and Ellen was a prolific freelance writer.
2. Ellen’s favorite Jewish food is a toasted sesame seed bagel with a shmear of cream cheese. Joyce’s is kasha and bowties. (When Joyce typed that, Ellen said “yuck.”)
3. After we wrote our Dictionary of Jewish Words, at one of our first speaking gigs, we naively passed around copies of the book to the audience of seniors. When we asked for them back, they started to fight. They thought the book was a free giveaway.
4. Collectively the Word Mavens have been married for 64 years to the same two terrific men – one apiece. No sharing.
5. Collectively the Word Mavens have 5 children. Among them are a Mandarin-speaking political operative, a Frisbee-playing engineer, a clarinet-playing healer, an accomplished teenage foodie/chef, and a New York City business hustler.
6. We’ve been in the social halls of most of the synagogues in the tristate area and enjoyed their sisterhood luncheon noshes — especially the rugelach.
7. We’re trying to work more Yiddish words into our daily conversation. Writing our book has helped, but halevai, we wish we knew more.
To claim our Beautiful Blogger Award and the huge cash prize that goes with it, we have to nominate 7 other bloggers. Here are our nominees:
Married, Broke & Hungry: Love on the Cheap
This is nepotism, but it’s worth it, we promise. Joyce’s cousin, one-year married, blogs about her life and her taste, which is greater than her budget.
Interfaith Family Network Blog
This welcoming and informative website is for families interested in integrating Jewish customs and traditions into their lives. It’s packed with holiday history, recipes and how-tos. We even write for the site.
The Insider by Michael Klein
You read his news about celebs, restaurants and what’s happening around town in his column “Inqlings” in the Philadelphia Inquirer. He’s got even more delicious insider scoop in his blog.
Mom With a View
Although blogger Emuna Braverman is more religiously observant that we are, her essays on family life ring true.
Uwishunu : Philly From the Inside Out
This is the blog of the Greater Philadelphia Tourism and Marketing Corporation, the official website of our hometown. It’s packed with insider tips on what’s going on right now.
Minding the Store
Cassandra Krivy Hirsch is a Philadelphia author and writing teacher whose blog is written in the same descriptive, elegant style as her fiction.
The Blog of the Jewish Publication Society
We have to give a shout out to our publisher – the venerable JPS. We’re on their book list, along with the Bible and the TANAKH.
4 Comments so far
Leave a comment